Preparing for our 72 hour project we decided to employ the ‘take a walk’ method described by dawkins and wynd in their 2009 book video production: putting theory into practice
as we walked along far gosford street we passed many interesting shops, saw several thought provoking signs and passed a lot of interesting people. here are some of the things that we saw and the ideas that sprang to mind:
the day in the life of ……..
- a pizza delivery driver
- an ice cream parlour
- the lady godiva statue
- a busker
- the lady godiva clock (what does she see when she comes out for 30 seconds every hour)
- a pantomime rehearsal (beauty and the beast is currently rehearsing for christmas performances)
- a guide dog
- a taxi driver
- a dog owner
in the end we decided the day in the life of a taxi driver was the most interesting option and there are two taxi ranks near the university and a large selection of drivers to interview.
possible sub topics to look at or questions to ask:
- how long have you been a taxi driver?
- what do you have in your glove compartment (echoing what do you have in your pocket?)
- would you consider buying your own vehicle rather than renting?
- have you had people not pay you?
- have you felt in danger?
- what hours do you work?
- what time do you leave home?
things to research?
- is there a taxi driver union?
- is there a west midlands version of ‘the knowledge‘?
- lady taxi drivers in coventry? could be a good angle
ways to film:
- from the passenger seat getting a side angle of the driver
- film the meter being switched on to start the film and off to end it
- film from rear passenger seat at a diagonal
- film taxis lined up
- film taxis driving at night
- film footage on the ring road to speed up and use
- film traffic lights changing
- film taxi driver in rear view mirror
- date stamp in corner at start of film
- film view out of passenger window
links to look at: